Saturday, February 23, 2008

Babes Spill The Beans...Kate


Babes Spill The Beans...Kate

My experiences at Herland have been broad: spiritual, awakening, stoney, raging, emotional, hilarious, and just plain odd! Here’s one that falls under the last two categories, I think.

It was a Saturday, and I was working in the bookstore as one of the weekend babes. I love Herland because while everything is sacred, nothing is taboo and when I run into other people who have no qualms about expressing who they are it makes my day! So, while I think there’s no need to be embarrassed about asking or saying anything, I must say, some people can still surprise even me, who works at Herland where everything is out of the closet and up for grabs!

So, I’m chillin (whatever you’re doing-- you’re always chillin’ when you’re at Herland.) Anyway, the telephone rings. Let me stop there for a second so that you know: when you pick up the telephone here or someone walks in the door, you never know what strange or obvious or non-café or bookstore-related thing someone is going to bring up. That’s why it’s always fun here, because nothing about us or our patrons is boring! We’re all about variety!

I answer the phone “Herland, this is Kate.” “Hi,” says a voice, later revealed to be Robin Lovedog (a tattoo babe). “Uh, yeh, I have an Annie Sprinkle movie here and I wanna know if you have the one where she SQUIRTS really big.

Kayla knows that’s the one that I like and she gave me the wrong one. I don’t know what it’s called but she’s getting fucked by like three people and she’s SQUIRTING all over the place! Do you know what I’m talking about?”

I have to say, I was pretty surprised/impressed with myself, because I knew exactly which one she was talking about. I had viewed Annie Sprinkle’s “Sluts and Goddesses” in a Performance Art History class a couple of years ago and loved it. So, I checked if we had it and put it aside. Robin sent one of the piercers from Lovedog’s down to pick it up. Apparently, she wanted him to see the scene she was such a fan of. Another day at Herland, and happy to help someone find what they needed!

*K8*